|Bryton James as Devon Hamilton|
|The Young and the Restless|
|Portrayed by||Bryton James (2004—)|
|Current status||Present, Contract|
|First appearance||June 1, 2004|
|Created by|| John F. Smith |
|Introduced by|| William J. Bell |
John F. Smith
|Born||February 7, 1988|
|Occupation|| Owner of the GCAC |
Marketing Intern at Jabot Cosmetics
|Residence||Genoa City, Wisconsin|
Devon Hamilton Winters is a fictional character on The Young and the Restless, portrayed by Bryton James.
Devon Hamilton is the birth son of Yolanda Hamilton and Tucker McCall. He is the adopted son of Drucilla and Neil Winters. He has two sisters, Lily Winters and Ana Hamilton, and one brother, Moses Winters.
Early Years, Devon's Deafness and CarmenEdit
Devon was a juvenile delinquent and sentenced to community service at the Rec Center where he met and befriended Lily. Lily helped Devon come out of his shell and Lily's mother, Drucilla, took him under her wing. She was once in Devon's position and asked Devon to move in with her and her family for a short time. Dru became very attached to Devon and tried to convince her husband, Neil, that they should take him in as a foster child. Neil was against the idea at first, but eventually decided to take Devon in. Neil also helped Devon's crack-addicted birth mother reform.
In his late teenage years, Devon was stricken with meningitis, almost losing his life. Although he recovered, the damage inflicted by the disease resulted in total hearing loss. The situation brought his family closer together and they all quickly became proficient in various methods of communicating with the deaf. Subsequently, Devon regained a significant portion of his hearing after receiving a cochlear implant. Devon and the rest of the Winters confronted Carmen Mesta regarding her behavior towards their family, including her advances towards Neil.
The institution of a restraining order - the violation of which threatened to send Dru to prison - was a particular bone of contention. Carmen was later found murdered outside of Neil's club, Indigo. After evidence pointed to Devon and he was arrested for murder. He was exonerated when later events pointed to Kevin Fisher as the killer, but the true culprit was revealed to be Kevin's girlfriend, Jana Hawkes. The Winters family continued to show Devon their love and support.
Adoption, Dru's Death and TyraEdit
Having completed the required legal procedures, Neil and Drucilla adopted Devon, making the adult man their legal son.
In April 2007, during a photo shoot, Dru and Sharon Abbott fell off a cliff and into the cold waters below. While Sharon survived, Dru was presumed dead.
In 2008, Devon was reunited with his aunt, Tyra Hamilton, and her daughter, Ana Hamilton. Tyra eventually revealed that Ana's biological mother was actually Yolanda and that Tyra assumed custody of Ana because Yolanda was an unfit mother. Devon was thrilled to realize that his "cousin" Ana was his half sister and he quickly assumed the role of older brother.
In 2009, Devon reconnected with his long-lost great aunt Virginia Hamilton by way of a social networking website. When Lily married Cane Ashby, Devon brought Virginia to the wedding reception as a surprise for Ana and Tyra. Virginia informed Devon that Tyra was not biologically related to the Hamilton family, but was left with Devon's grandmother as a baby. After Neil's affair with Tyra was exposed, Devon exhibited anger and resentment toward her. However, Devon found that he was actually quite attracted to Tyra.
In August 2009, after a particularly vicious argument, Devon and Tyra Hamilton had sex on Devon's couch unaware that Devon's girlfriend, Roxanne, walked in and discovered them in the act. The following day, Roxanne angrily broke up with Devon who later admitted to a stunned Neil Winters that he had sex with Neil's girlfriend, Tyra. However, many weeks later Devon and Roxanne reunited. Devon has been very concerned and supportive of his sister Lily's cancer fight.
Neil was none too happy to find out that Devon was going to work as a photography assistant for Neil's brother, Malcolm Winters.
Relationship with HilaryEdit
When a mystery blogger starts attacking the Winters family, Devon is upset over it, wondering who could be attacking his family online. It's later revealed to be a woman named Hilary Curtis, who seemed to have a grudge against Neil. At some point, Devon and Hilary develop feelings for each other despite Neil pursueing Hilary romantically himself. Despite what she feels for Neil, Hilary knwos that she loves Devon. However, she feels commited to Neil and decides to forward with her realtionship with him despite Devon doing his best to convince her that he is the man for her, not Neil. Desptie her feelings for Devon, Hilary ends up marrying Neil.
- Drucilla Winters (adoptive mother, deceased)
- Neil Winters (adoptive father)
- Yolanda Hamilton (biological mother)
- Tucker McCall (biological father)
- Lillie Belle Barber (maternal adoptive grandmother)
- Walter Barber (maternal adoptive grandfather)
- Katherine Chancellor (biological paternal grandmother)
- Arthur Hendricks (biological paternal grandfather)
- Lily Winters (sister, via adoption)
- Ana Hamilton (maternal half sister)
- Moses Winters (adoptive paternal half-brother)
Aunts and UnclesEdit
- Charles "Charlie" Ashby (adoptive nephew)
- Matilda Ashby (adoptive niece)
- Mackenzie Browning (biological first cousin)
- Nathan Hastings, Jr. (adoptive first cousin)
- Dylan Hellstrom (biological second cousin)
- Virginia Hamilton (great-aunt)
- Mamie Johnson (adoptive great-aunt)
- Justin Barber (adoptive first cousin once removed)
- Marcus Forrester (adoptive second cousin)
- Rosie Barber Forrester (adoptive third cousin)
- Arrested for assault when he was 14 years old after he broke the nose of a guy named Tyrone with a wrench for taunting him about his druggie mother.
- Arrested for trashing a Las Vegas hotel room. The charges were dropped when it was revealed that it wasn't him.
Hospitalizations & MaladiesEdit
- Nearly died from meningitis which resulted in complete hearing loss; regained most of his hearing after receiving cochlear implant (2007)
- Had a transducer successfully implanted in each middle ear to fully recover his hearing (2012)